The 7 Levels of Change
Thinking Diffferent for Diffferent Results
Rolf Smith: "So what's diffferent about the 2nd Edition?"
It's much more of a "Fieldguide for Innovators" focused on Thinking Diffferent for Diffferent Results:
- There is a copy of a corporate Innovation Strategy Paper developed for the first Air Force Office of Innovation with a
step-by-step Action Plan that works and has been adapted by a number of major corporations
- Index to more than 75 innovation tools and techniques for thinking diffferent and for getting diffferent results
and expanded explanations (How To's) for many of the tools.
- Following each Level of Change there is a summary of the kinds of Fear and kinds of Stress that each particular Level of tends to
- Easy to read chart developed by Elvira Stestikova, a Conoco research chemist, that analyses each Level of Change in terms of
Habits & Characteristics, Thinking about Thinking, Mindshifts, Pros & Cons, and Levels of Fear essentially a content analysis
index to the book.
- Updated and more focused "slide show" of 115 Power Point graphics.
There are four new chapters:
- Transitioning to Level 4 (out of normal 1-sigma thinking and doing): The Creative Problem Solving (CPS) model.
- Transitioning to Level 6 (out of "interesting" 2-sigma thinking and doing): Case Study of a major Procter & Gamble Thinking
Expedition (article from FAST COMPANY Magazine written by Anna Muoio)
- Getting ready for change (individuals) - Much more depth on the implications of Meyers Briggs type and
Adaptor-Innovator style in dealing with change and stress.
- Getting ready for change (teams) - Examines how teams react to and deal with change and stress, and includes a
brief study of a May 1999 Mt. Everest Expedition.
There are some completely new sections and as well as updated appendices:
- Case Study of a major Texaco Knowledge Management Expedition.
- Case Study related to International Project Management written by Kent Malone of Halliburton Company.
- Case Study on a Change Plan for Dentistry written by Ronal Konig, DDS, of Houston, Texas.
- Case Study of Campbell Junior High School, Cypress, Texas, has been updated by Gwen Keith (principal) to reflect the changes
and results of the last five years.
- Detailed description of School for Innovators Expedition XXXVIII (December 2001) written by the participants - a collection of
personal insights in step-by-step account mode.
- Me, Inc. - The How To's at the end of each Level of Change have been expanded.
And...the 2nd Edition increased in size by 50%, from 213 pages to 320 pages - all good ones!
"This is the book I should have written the first time. I think it's great - much more readable as well as significantly
diffferent from the 1st Edition (1997)." - Rolf Smith